1. Can you please describe the time period you grew up in, such as what island or islands did you grow up on?
2. Now, can you describe what those times were like as compared to today?
3. Describe who people lived; what their homes were like and what they ate?
4. Did they consume mostly Marshallese type food, and what kind were they?
5. Now, according to what we hear from elder relatives, how people interact now is definitely different than how the interacted then. Stories of how today siblings kill each other because of disagreement over common land. In your opinion, what causes such strife?
6. Did such crime(s) exist then? It would seem that we are hearing about murder, robbery, and similar trouble with increasing frequency. Was this sort of behavior prevalent then? (why?)
7. Now, in regard to custom… how have customs changed (we do know it’s changed) and what customs have changed? Have they fully changed or have they mutated? (how)? Compare custom now with the time you were young.
8. What role(s) have Western courts played in Marshallese society? Is it good or bad that they have superseded traditional law? Is it good or bad that they should govern our lives and make decisions regarding our lands and land rights? And in the old days, who or what acted as “policemen” in society?
9. Now, as a last question, in your opinion, do you believe we can still preserve or customs and language? And how?